Friday, March 25, 2011

Hello

Hello Blogosphere and welcome to Spice-rack Safari
This is a blog about cooking and food photography. I’ve toyed with the idea of creating a blog for years now. I’ve always enjoyed cooking, although I never really got good at it. In fact, over the last few years I’ve been doing it less and less. I used to love experimenting with different spices and ingredients, and I’ve grown my own herbs and vegetables for several years now. I’m an unlikely cook, a computer programmer by training and a computer geek at heart.  
I just got back from a trip to Peru, where I got the chance to learn from my grandma about cooking Peruvian foods. This has renewed my interest in cooking and excited me about trying to duplicate those recipes here in the U.S. I want to use this blog as an archive of my kitchen experiments and the recipes I’ve gotten from family and friends.
Not all my recipes will be “from scratch” — sometimes when I’m in a hurry, or just too lazy, I do use canned ingredients and already-mixed spices. I’m also a gadget freak, so I plan to write about the tools I’ll be using in my kitchen, like the ones used by my grandma. (Her gadgets aren’t high-tech like mine. She has a favorite rock to smash garlic and an even bigger rock to crush corn).
I am a novice cook, photographer and blogger — but my goal is to improve in all these areas.  For the last several years, the only real writing I’ve done is adding comments to my program code, and it was usually only for my future reference. So feel free to offer pointers about my writing style, along with your cooking ideas. I’d love to hear from you.
If I’m lucky, I’ll inspire others to enjoy cooking as much as I do, and if I end up with some new friends along the way, then so much the better.


2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great start! Best of luck on your safari! Looking forward to see many exciting recipes in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Querido Michael, ya hace años en tu casa tube la suerte de disfrutar de algunos de tus ricos manjares y por entonces me diste a conocer algunas especias de las que nunca había oido hablar. Ahora, en la lejanía, será mas dificil seguir probando tus nuevas recetas, pero intentaré encontrar algún buen samaritano que se aventure a prepararme algunas de ellas.
    Enhorabuena por tu blog y te deseo muchos seguidores de tu cocina (por cierto, las fotos son buenísimas, solo les falta el aroma).

    ReplyDelete